Thursday, September 15, 2011

I Heart Real Mail.

Maybe it has something to do with that aforementioned delicious gardenia bush at the end of my grandmother's driveway, but since childhood I've always loved to check the mailbox.

And lately, I love the mailbox more than ever. Why? Because I've been getting REAL MAIL. Not bills. Not advertisements or requests for donations. But real cards with real handwriting, intended just to brighten my day! In the age of sending emails and facebook messages, an actual card is really something to celebrate.

First I got an awesome note from someone I wrote a story about for the Charleston Scene. The card thanked me for my story, and said that my writing really delivered the message they wanted to send to the community. I was so thrilled, I immediately thumbtacked it to my wall.

Then, a few days ago, I got my royalty check from Andy Thomas--along with another card that said congratulations on a great book and on my first royalty check ever.

And today when I checked it, there was a card from my best friend Alice, just to thank me for being her friend through the years! In the midst of this busy week, it's nice to be reminded that I have people who love me.






No comments:

Post a Comment