Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Unplugged A.M.

Today I woke up feeling a little anxious about the day ahead of me. I have to admit, sometimes the abundance of technology in the morning (What's happening on Twitter? Has my boss emailed me? Did that client approve that article?) before I've even properly caffeinated or, heck, even gotten out of bed, can be daunting.

So this morning I tried something different. I left my computer in my bedroom and took just the March edition of ELLE downstairs with me. Instead of reading websites and emails and social media, I thumbed through the magazine over my cup of coffee. It felt almost like a Saturday at first.



I'm happy to report that reading a magazine led to a better morning overall--a more inspired outfit for the day, an interesting essay (made of paper and ink) and a calmer attitude overall by the time I hit the shower. In fact, I even brought my lunch today. Now that is the antithesis of frazzled. 

I think I'll ditch my computer more often in the mornings and start reading books and magazines. 

1 comment:

  1. A technology addict like myself also finds pleasure in ignoring the phone and computer when I wake up. Things can wait until you are fully awake and ready to face the day. Good post.

    ReplyDelete