Wednesday, June 19, 2013

More About My Car - An Ode, So Soon After a Gripe.


This is funny, because I just posted about how my car doesn't have air conditioning and how annoying it is. (I'm getting used to it, truthfully.)

And today, I have new respect for my car. We had one of our epic Charleston rainstorms, where it rained for hours until downtown was nothing more than an extension of the harbor. It took me forever to make what is usually a 15 minute drive from Mount Pleasant. I got into my car at 6 p.m. and poured myself a glass of bourbon at 7:30. Whew.

I can't believe my car made it through all that water. I was so nervous, driving behind the SUVs, getting splashed all to hell (and they weren't having nearly the amount of trouble I was having) and praying my little Saturn would not stall out. She's not as young as she used to be, and she's dealt with some strife lately.

But I finally got off the crosstown and breathed a shaky sigh of relief. I saw so many abandoned cars, sitting randomly on streets that had been closed due to flooding, and all I could do was be glad mine wasn't one of them.

Besides giving kudos to my car, I learned an important lesson from this afternoon's rain-related mayhem. The next time this happens, I'm parking at a bar and having cocktails until the commute is over for everyone else. There's no point in hassling myself - I'm a writer, after all. I can work from anywhere.

Here's to being on dry land.

No comments:

Post a Comment