Thursday, June 13, 2013

Natural Resources.


Today, I got a call from my ex-boss at the Nautical & Aviation Publishing Company, where I worked for over three years. He asked me if I could help out this week, since he's between employees and swamped with projects. I happily obliged, not only because I can use all the extra pocket change I can get (like any writer), but also because he's a friend. I was glad to be his resource.

And (this is a little more random, for sure) I also discovered a great place for a July/August cover shoot this morning - none other than the little creekside dock in the neighborhood where I used to live SIX years ago. It totally sprang into my head on a whim, while I was drinking iced coffee this morning at Troubadours. I asked Brian if he'd go look at the scene with me and offer his opinion. We checked it out, and it was just as I remembered it. I think it's going to work out great.

I've always had a good memory (thanks to my mother, who's pretty much like an elephant) and as I get older I'm noticing how valuable it is. I mean, who would have thought that when I moved into that neighborhood almost seven years ago, as a 26-year-old graduate student (gosh, those were the days), that I would later recall it as the perfect backdrop for a shoot at my magazine gig?

Here's the test shot that Brian took with his phone. Lowcountry perfection, no?




No comments:

Post a Comment