Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pavement Angel.

Since I moved into this house about 4 and a half years ago, I've loved the driveway--it's large, smooth, and perfect for lying on my back and gazing up. If you've never tried lying in your own driveway, I highly recommend it.

When my neighbor Aaron first moved in, I was in the driveway the first time he saw me.

"What are you doing?" he asked, amused.

"Just looking at the sky," I replied. "I love to watch the clouds and the trees. Plus it's good for my back."

He ended up joining me, and we've been friends ever since.

Today has been a perfect day for the driveway. It's chilly outside but not cold and pavement is clean and dry. I love watching the naked, winter trees against the blue backdrop.

People ask me if I'm afraid of getting run over. They ask if I'm scared of bugs crawling in my hair, of leaves and "random yard stuff" getting all over me.

The answer is no. In fact, I think part of the joy in driveway-lying is that it's not perfect--that ants might crawl all over me, that I'm vulnerable. It helps me get back to my basic self and gain a new, weird perspective on things. From down there, I see the under carriage of my car. I see the bumpy terrain of the ground. I see the cat as a giant.

via

No comments:

Post a Comment