Sunday, January 13, 2013

Poetry: The New Social Lubricant?

Friday night was the annual open mic for the Poetry Society, and I read a poem, despite feeling like I was going to lose my s*it a couple of times while standing in front of everyone.

Afterwards, a few other poetry fans came up to me at the reception and said "good job," which is nice, of course, but nothing unusual.

What was unusual was getting hailed in the street by this couple I didn't know who'd been at the reading. I was on my way to my car, rather dejectedly I might add, because none of my friends wanted to go out. Then I heard two people calling me.

"Hey! We were just at the reading with you. We loved your poem." They caught up to me on the sidewalk. "Want to get coffee and dessert with us?"

I was surprised. It's not often that perfect strangers ask you to join them on an outing.

"Sure," I said. "But I don't drink coffee at this hour so I hope you won't be offended if I order bourbon!"

We went to a nearby restaurant and had a great time discussing that night's reading, our other work, and just socializing. I love meeting other writers.

After that, I headed to Henry's, a bar that I've never particularly loved, in order to hear a friend's band as I promised. On the rooftop deck I struck up a conversation with a couple of guys (none of them were writers) and asked them if they wanted to hear the poem I'd read that night. They did.

"Wow, we've never met a real poet before," they said when I was finished. One guy seemed especially intrigued--enough that he asked for my number, invited me to the next location with them and texted that he'd like to see me again.

You have a thing for poets? I typed in one text.

I'm not creative at all, he typed. I appreciate your vision. 

Although the guy doesn't live here in town and I may not run into him again, it's refreshing and amusing to know that I can impress barflies by reading my poems. I think I've found a new dating--and socializing tactic. I may just carry a poem in my purse from now on.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Denise,
    Enjoyed "coffee and dessert with you Friday.
    http://mitomboy.blogspot.com/
    Sally Ann Maclaughlin- Olivier

    ReplyDelete