Thursday, January 3, 2013

Poetry Resolutions.


One of my resolutions this year is to get more serious about my poetry. 2012 was a step in the right direction; I was published in Illuminations Magazine, The Dead Mule School of Southern Literature, plus I got a Pushcart Prize nomination. I also read out loud at the microphone on Mondays more than before, thanks to a little bit of faith in my newer work and some pestering from my pal Jim Lundy, the emcee.

My next move is to be part of Sixfold, a cool new journal in which everything is decided by the writers themselves, not editors.
One of the best parts about Sixfold is that if you submit, other writers read and comment on your work as part of the voting process, and you comment on theirs. I'm interested in reading the work of the other poets who submit. It sounds like a remote workshopping class, and I'm all for it. 

I've already tentatively picked out a few poems for the haul. Wish me luck. It's always a little nerve-racking, sending your work out into the world, but I have to get better at it. I will keep you all posted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment