Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Strawberries Don't Like Cold Weather, Either.

So, everyone who knows me knows that I'm not the biggest whiz in the kitchen. I can scramble an egg, but I'm not really known for my gourmet meals or desserts.

When a friend asked me to come over for dinner this evening, I tried to come up with an idea that was both inexpensive and yummy. I know! I thought to myself. I have some strawberries in the fridge! I'll cut them up and bring them over for a nice dessert. 


I got home from my afternoon at the beach, went straight to the kitchen and checked out my strawberries. Bad news--they did not seem right. I had anticipated lush, red berries, ready to be diced up and served. But these strawberries seemed hard.

I texted my friend and sorrowfully admitted that the strawberries I wanted to bring to dinner had gone bad.

"They're hard," I wrote. "Do strawberries do that?"

But the more closely I examined the berries, I started thinking..maybe they were just...cold.

"Are they just frozen?" my friend wrote. "Maybe your refrigerator is just cold."

Feeling like an idiot, I wrote back that she was right, and that the berries would be fine. At this very moment, they've been rinsed off and they're thawing on the counter while I write this blog.

So, yeah. Our fridge is pretty darn cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment