Thursday, June 2, 2011

Friend Me.

"People are always asking me, 'How do you have all these great friends?' And I'm like, 'Dude, how do you NOT?'" 

--Alice E. Anthony

I haven't updated in a while, but I'm back. The topic I feel like musing on today is friendship. It seems simple enough, but since I've become an adult (of marrying and/or baby-making age) friendship seems...like more work than it used to be, or it should be. Let me elaborate.

I've always had an abundance of beloved pals. Both male and female friends--constantly someone to drink with, go to shows with, shoot the breeze with. Or, on a more serious note, someone to commiserate with, laugh with, and vent with. Even now, in a relationship with Stefan, I still make time for my people--and I expect them to do the same. Sadly, I feel like a lot of folks, once they settle into family life, don't make the effort as much as I wish they would. I recognize that a lot of us think that, once you have a family, the "party days" of going out with the gang are over. But I would argue that friends have more value than just partying.

Fortunately, I'm blessed to continue to have a few friends who DO value friendship the way that I do. To these friends I plan to hang tight, and as for the ones who fade into the distance with time...well, I guess I can't do much about that, since relationships are a two-way street. But I'll always be there for my people, even if we don't talk from day to day. I won't forget y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment