Monday, April 11, 2011

Home Remedies...

Friends, the reason I've blogged so much today is that I've been at home with a terrible cold. So terrible, in fact, that I haven't been able to taste anything--not chocolate, not yummy Italian leftovers, nothing.
Not being able to taste my food has to be the worst part about colds. I can handle the constant nose-blowing, and the trippy, medicine-induced dreams. But give me my FOOD, damn it!

Everyone knows there's no medicine that can cure a cold. But today I've been rather adventurous with home remedies. It started innocently enough, asking my sister to bring me some classic OJ from Publix and sucking on zinc lozenges. Then things got a bit desperate.

By the time Stefan brought me Chick Fil A for dinner I was at the end of my rope. I was starving but unable to taste anything.

"Do you think I'd be able to taste raw garlic?" I asked him.

He was willing to go downstairs (we were eating in my room since I could hardly move) and dice up a clove for me. He returned with the garlic chunks, which I strategically placed on my chicken sandwich.

I can't say I actually tasted the garlic, but I may have sort of...sensed it.

Once I finished up my garlicy meal Stefan had another brilliant plan.

"I got this HORRIBLE sinus infection once, and nothing was helping. Finally, one day I downed a glass of vinegar! And my infection was gone!"

"A glass of vinegar?" I repeated skeptically.

"Yes. Do you have any?"

Quicker than you can utter the words "easter egg dye," Stefan charged downstairs, found the vinegar, and brought me a yummy glassful. I eyeballed it.

"I guess I'll try it. I can't taste anything anyhow!"

Turns out, you don't have to taste vinegar to know it's in your mouth--it burns like hell. Stefan kept encouraging me to drink big gulps, but I could only muster tiny sips. The glass is still beside me as I type this blog.

Has anyone else tried home remedies for colds and other stuff? How did it work for you? Are you sticking to Nyquil or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment